Skip to main content

Logistics

Zurich, Switzerland - Yesterday was mostly logistics. First, we met with a friendly Swiss accountant and lawyer named Patrice in Zurich. Patrice's office is located in a nondescript business park near the airport. Hannah and I were ushered into a conference room, where we were each treated to an espresso, a small Swiss chocolate, and a small biscuit. Patrice gave us a high level overview of how we would be taxed and what information we would need as the occasional plane rumbled overhead. I will spare you the details, except to say that Patrice's nonplussed demeanor reassured us that our taxes were simple and straightforward - perhaps disappointingly so for poor Patrice. 

We left Patrice's office and headed to the bohemian Werd district in Zurich for lunch. Before lunch, we quickly stopped in at JB Labat - a liquor store operated by a middle-aged hipster who has resuscitated an older retail space. Hannah and I enjoyed the vermouth selection here and picked out a Swiss label for some local flavor. We continue to get confused looks when we initially ask for "Ver-moo-th," as most Europeans call it something more like "ver-moot." My mother tells me with great confidence that this is because the "th" sound that native English speakers pronounce is actually incredibly difficult to say. I haven't independently verified this, but my mother is near-enough an expert in linguistic trivia.   

For lunch, we went to Metzg, a meat-focused spot in the bohemian Werd district of Zurich. I got a baloney sandwich with sinus-clearing mustard. Hannah got the chorizo with chickpea soup. I kicked myself for not getting the roast beef with potatoes and salsa verde. Most of the other (Swiss) patrons had gotten this and it looked great. My sandwich was good, but the grass is always greener...

Next, we visited the immigration office in Zug. This was actually our second visit to the office since we dropped by the day before. Again, I'll spare you the details and provide you with this quick summary of what is required to get a visa to live and work in Switzerland:
  • Various documentation proving you are, in fact, a person: Passports, birth certificates, etc. 
  • Various documentation proving you won't be a drain on the Swiss economy: employment contracts, diplomas, etc. 
  • Completion of an alphabet soup of forms: A2, STA2, etc.
  • Months and months of time
In the evening I left Hannah behind to drop by the office. I met all of my lovely coworkers there, set up my desk, and then headed across the street for a brief happy hour before going to the old city of Zug for a celebratory end-of-year dinner at Aklin. Aklin was founded in 1787 by the Aklin family, an old-time Swiss family that still has ties to Zug. The restaurant is a classic Swiss experience. It's located on a little cobblestone street in the heart of the old city of Zug. Inside feels like a cozy lodge with wooden rafters and prodigious Christmas decorations. Between glasses of bordeaux, I had the green leafy salad served with roasted nuts & seeds, sun dried apricots and the sliced Zuger veal, served with mushroom cream sauce and Rösti plus market vegetables for, you know, health. The veal is a classic of the region and it was good!


JB Labat

Metzg, obviously.
Dining room at Restaruant Aklin. Photo from GaultMillau

Comments

  1. Michael, I don't know if your Dad told you about the cute train that I have taken from Zug to St. Moritz in winter. I highly recommend it. --- Rich Rosen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are eagerly anticipating taking some of the tourist trains around. We heard its best to wait until there's snow, so we're probably going to go in January.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The dishwasher has a fondue setting

Zug, Switzerland - I visited the office today to pack up my things in preparation for our impending departure from Switzerland. While I was there, I noticed a curious icon on the office's dishwasher. Further investigation revealed that the icon was for a fondue/raclette wash function. The icon is pictured below. The manufacturer, V-Zug Ltd. (subsidiary of Metall Zug Group, a Swiss industrial holding company), describes the fondue/raclette function this way: "The typical Swiss programme for the Swiss market from the Swiss manufacturer! Caquelons and raclette pans are cleaned to perfection without having to soak first. The programme can also be used as a 'super-intensive' run thanks to its active soaking phase. Pre-rinsing of burned-on soufflé or gratin dishes is a thing of the past." V-Zug apparently makes this feature available on several of its Adora models of dishwasher.  Upon discovering this, I of course rushed home to investigate my own apartment'...

Gobble, gobble.

Sebastopol, CA - Happy turkey day! H and I are in Sebastopol, getting in a final hurrah with our families. We are t minus seven days to departure. Chaos and confusion reign as we prepare to embark on our one-year European adventure. In one of our finer moments, Hannah - overwhelmed both by the enormity of the impending change to our lives and the amount of work still ahead of us - sat crying next to an open suitcase while Mike fumed over the inefficiency created by this moment of reflection and introspection. The complications of moving to a idiosyncratic European country, protective of its culture and economy are numerous, but here are a few highlights: There is no common language. Most Swiss speak German (~60%), but large numbers speak French, and Italian. Romansch is an official language spoken by <1%. Hannah and I are attempting to learn some standard German via duoLingo. This is slow going for three reasons: (1) we are busy/lazy, (2) the Germans appreciate linguistic co...

Italy

Dear Reader: We visited Italy twice in two weeks in November 2021. This blog has been sitting in my drafts folder since then. I am publishing it now because my family will shortly be arriving in Rome and I have little confidence that they will manage this trip successfully without my guidance. Without further ado:  -------- Our first trip was a weekend jaunt to Milan and our second trip was a weeklong sojourn to Rome during the week of Thanksgiving. Over the course of our several travels, we've developed a sociological theory: the triangle of rules. We believe that rules can roughly be arrayed in a triangle, with the points being actual rules, aspirational rules, and inscrutable rules. Societies can be positioned in the triangle based on the extent to which certain types of rules dominate the social contract. Actual rules are written rules with prescribed penalties that are respected and enforced. In Switzerland, there are many of these: trash may only be disposed of in specially m...