Skip to main content

The Uetliberg

Zurich, Switzerland - Hiking is one of the few outdoor activities you can do in the time of coronavirus while being compliant with social distancing. So, on a recent weekend, H and I hiked up the Uetliberg. The Uetliberg is a mountain that rises up on the west side of Zurich and provides panoramic views of Zurich, lake Zurich, and the municipalities in the neighboring valley. 

This being Switzerland, the mountain is very accessible and accommodates a variety of activities. There are numerous walking paths providing access to the summit, as well as a train (the Uetlibergbahn). The mountain includes a variety of water fountains and camping stops for barbecuing sausages and the like. There is a downhill mountain bike track and in the winter, the hiking trails are converted into sledding runs. At the top, you'll find the Uto Kulm, a four-star hotel and restaurant. Sadly, H and I didn't get a chance to step inside the Uto Kulm because it's closed due to the pandemic.

The Uetliberg isn't the tallest mountain. It rises 870 meters above sea level, and Zurich is already at 408 meters above sea level. So, this wasn't the most demanding hike, in fact door-to-door from our apartment, the hike to the peak and back took only 2.5 hours. That said, the hike to the top is rather steep in parts, so we were huffing and puffing and stripping off layers. I began the hike wearing a long underwear top, a sweater, a jacket, plus a hat and gloves. By the time we were halfway up the mountain, I had removed all but the long underwear and sweater, much to H's amusement (surprisingly, she had dressed lighter than me). 

But, boy was I glad I had brought these layers by the time we got to the top! The temperature fell as we gained elevation and the wind picked up considerably towards the top of the mountain. When we reached the summit, I had all my layers back on. However, a funny thing happened at the summit and on the way down the mountain: despite the persistent cold, I started to shed my layers. As frightful as the cold was, it was not nearly as frightful as the threats emanating from the mouth of my beloved, who told me in no uncertain terms that I should hand over my hat, and then later, my gloves.

Lake Zurich, as seen from Uetliberg

Zurich, as seen from Uetliberg

Neighboring villages of Stallikon and Wettswil (I think)

H, prior to stealing my hat and gloves

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dishwasher has a fondue setting

Zug, Switzerland - I visited the office today to pack up my things in preparation for our impending departure from Switzerland. While I was there, I noticed a curious icon on the office's dishwasher. Further investigation revealed that the icon was for a fondue/raclette wash function. The icon is pictured below. The manufacturer, V-Zug Ltd. (subsidiary of Metall Zug Group, a Swiss industrial holding company), describes the fondue/raclette function this way: "The typical Swiss programme for the Swiss market from the Swiss manufacturer! Caquelons and raclette pans are cleaned to perfection without having to soak first. The programme can also be used as a 'super-intensive' run thanks to its active soaking phase. Pre-rinsing of burned-on soufflé or gratin dishes is a thing of the past." V-Zug apparently makes this feature available on several of its Adora models of dishwasher.  Upon discovering this, I of course rushed home to investigate my own apartment'...

Gobble, gobble.

Sebastopol, CA - Happy turkey day! H and I are in Sebastopol, getting in a final hurrah with our families. We are t minus seven days to departure. Chaos and confusion reign as we prepare to embark on our one-year European adventure. In one of our finer moments, Hannah - overwhelmed both by the enormity of the impending change to our lives and the amount of work still ahead of us - sat crying next to an open suitcase while Mike fumed over the inefficiency created by this moment of reflection and introspection. The complications of moving to a idiosyncratic European country, protective of its culture and economy are numerous, but here are a few highlights: There is no common language. Most Swiss speak German (~60%), but large numbers speak French, and Italian. Romansch is an official language spoken by <1%. Hannah and I are attempting to learn some standard German via duoLingo. This is slow going for three reasons: (1) we are busy/lazy, (2) the Germans appreciate linguistic co...

Italy

Dear Reader: We visited Italy twice in two weeks in November 2021. This blog has been sitting in my drafts folder since then. I am publishing it now because my family will shortly be arriving in Rome and I have little confidence that they will manage this trip successfully without my guidance. Without further ado:  -------- Our first trip was a weekend jaunt to Milan and our second trip was a weeklong sojourn to Rome during the week of Thanksgiving. Over the course of our several travels, we've developed a sociological theory: the triangle of rules. We believe that rules can roughly be arrayed in a triangle, with the points being actual rules, aspirational rules, and inscrutable rules. Societies can be positioned in the triangle based on the extent to which certain types of rules dominate the social contract. Actual rules are written rules with prescribed penalties that are respected and enforced. In Switzerland, there are many of these: trash may only be disposed of in specially m...