Skip to main content

Birthday in Arbois

Arbois, France - We visited Arbois for Hannah's birthday. Arbois is in the Jura department of France, which is named for the mountain range that runs along the French-Swiss border. Switzerland has a Jura canton, but somewhat oddly, the French department of Jura and the Swiss canton of Jura are not adjacent to each other. 







Truth be told, we didn't actually stay in Arbois, but in an even smaller town about five minutes drive outside Arbois called Les Planches (population: 101). We stayed in a charming and poorly insulated 18th century farmhouse owned by a small winemaker, who kindly gifted us one of their Pét-nats for Hannah's birthday. A short hike outside the town was a lovely waterfall.







But Arbois was where we spent most of our time. It's a quaint French town with approximately 3,500 residents. You will not be surprised to learn that we visited a place with a rich gastronomic and viticulture heritage for Hannah's birthday. In fact, according to Wikipedia, it appears that little is known of Arbois' history prior to the renaissance except that they made good wine: "The origin of the town of Arbois dates back to remote times but it is difficult to be specific. It is certain however that its wines were known to the Romans."

One of our favorite wines was a Savagnin from Domaine des Cavarodes - a natural wine that was crisp and refreshing with nice acidity. We had hoped to visit the wine maker, Etienne Thiebaud, but he is something of a recluse and never got back to us. We heard that he doesn't have a phone but rather has people call an office "in town" that he occasionally visits to collect his messages. We drank a bottle the evening we arrived at an unassuming wine bar, Le Bistrot des Claquets, a block or two off the central square. While we were enjoying our wine a French gentlemen made our acquaintance by telling us a joke we didn't totally understand but was about the coronavirus and involved the seven dwarfs, and in particular, Sneezy. Later, when I went to pay the bill, the same gentlemen asked me what I thought of the embarrassing loss by the All Blacks, the New Zealand national rugby union team. Since I'm not a rugby fan, I initially thought he was making a crude racial joke, and it was only after several seconds that I realized that he thought I was a Kiwi (New Zealander). I had to awkwardly explain that I was an American and so I preferred (American) football. 

One day we drove to Beaune, where we visited the Hospices de Beaune, a remarkable renaissance era hospital and home for the aged and disabled that continued operations until the 1970s, when it was turned into a museum. I'm not entirely sure if that says more about the strength of this particular institution or the quality of rural French healthcare. Regardless, it is - according to Wikipedia - among the best preserved renaissance era buildings in Europe and "one of the finest examples of fifteenth-century Burgundian architecture".



Unfortunately, we didn't get to take in much of the gastronomy of Arbois or the surrounding region. Coronavirus cases across Europe are and were skyrocketing and we were terrified of indoor dining, so we bailed on our reservations and survived on bread, cheese, and complaining. Speaking of cheese: Arbois is located in the French region of Bourgogne-Franche-Comté. You may have divined from the name that the region is well know for its cheese, and in particular, Comte, of which we consumed prodigious quantities. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dishwasher has a fondue setting

Zug, Switzerland - I visited the office today to pack up my things in preparation for our impending departure from Switzerland. While I was there, I noticed a curious icon on the office's dishwasher. Further investigation revealed that the icon was for a fondue/raclette wash function. The icon is pictured below. The manufacturer, V-Zug Ltd. (subsidiary of Metall Zug Group, a Swiss industrial holding company), describes the fondue/raclette function this way: "The typical Swiss programme for the Swiss market from the Swiss manufacturer! Caquelons and raclette pans are cleaned to perfection without having to soak first. The programme can also be used as a 'super-intensive' run thanks to its active soaking phase. Pre-rinsing of burned-on soufflé or gratin dishes is a thing of the past." V-Zug apparently makes this feature available on several of its Adora models of dishwasher.  Upon discovering this, I of course rushed home to investigate my own apartment'...

Gobble, gobble.

Sebastopol, CA - Happy turkey day! H and I are in Sebastopol, getting in a final hurrah with our families. We are t minus seven days to departure. Chaos and confusion reign as we prepare to embark on our one-year European adventure. In one of our finer moments, Hannah - overwhelmed both by the enormity of the impending change to our lives and the amount of work still ahead of us - sat crying next to an open suitcase while Mike fumed over the inefficiency created by this moment of reflection and introspection. The complications of moving to a idiosyncratic European country, protective of its culture and economy are numerous, but here are a few highlights: There is no common language. Most Swiss speak German (~60%), but large numbers speak French, and Italian. Romansch is an official language spoken by <1%. Hannah and I are attempting to learn some standard German via duoLingo. This is slow going for three reasons: (1) we are busy/lazy, (2) the Germans appreciate linguistic co...

Fording the Fjords

We stayed one night in  Ålesund and for a few days in  Øye. These cities are fun for me at least partly because they use letters unique to the Danish-Norwegian alphabet, the 'a' with the circle on top and 'o' with the line through it (official letter names pending further review). Ålesund  is a port town of about 70,000 on the western side of Norway on the Atlantic coast.  We landed there  around 1100PM, but it looked more like 700 or 800pm, owing to the latitude (about 62 degrees north). Throughout our stay here, I've been very excited about the (nearly) never-ending daylight. The sun sets at about 1130PM rises about four hours later, but the hours between are marked more by a duskiness rather than a true darkness. We only stayed in  Ålesund overnight (if you want to call it "night") before departing the next morning for  Øye, which lies at the tip of a remote Fjord, the Norangsfjorden. Some locals told us that another nearby town, Urke, had less than...